Re: bug in semantics (was Re: intersectionOf and subClassOf)

Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> Jeremy has pointed out a problem with the semantics.

That gives me more credit than fits with the extent to which this message
enlightens me as to what the problem is.

> The semantics assumes that intersectionOf is a ``syntactic'' relationship,
> i.e., there are no sufficient conditions for it.  This was fine once upon a
> time, but is now, due to recent changes in the mapping to triples, the
> correspondence theorem is now not correct.
>
> There are several possible changes:
>
> 1/ Change the mapping back to the way it was, so that, for example, classes
>    are not related to their ``definition'' by owl:intersectionOf
>    relationships.  Instead there would be an anonymous intersection class
>    related to the named class by an equivalence link.  This would be the
>    safest course.

Hmmm, presumably any triple with subject of classID and predicate being
owl:unionOf owl:complementOf or owl:intersectionOf would not be permitted
in OWL DL, such constructs would always be mediated by mapping rules.

It seems like a significant changen (I haven't yet made my mind up, this is
simply a comment).

> 2/ Leave the mapping the way it is and upgrade owl:intersectionOf from a
>    syntactic relationship to a semantic one.  This would require
>    significant work on the correspondence proofs.  (If this course is taken
>    I would withdraw my action to look into B1 and B2.)

That too seems like a significant change.

> 3/

Is this deliberately blank for someone inspired to fill in?

> peter

Jeremy