RE: Datatypes - help please

From: Ian Horrocks <horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 15:30:45 +0000
To: "Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

On March 27, Jeremy Carroll writes:

> Ian
>
> I have largely gone with your wording - making one editorial change, and
> linking to the definition of datatype theory rather than the section
> containing the definition. In-line text is below.
>
> There is also one other point that came up in discussion with Jos which is
> what change is needed in
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2003Mar/att-0083/M#runningCo
> nsistencyChecker
>
> section 5.2
>
> The current text with one addition **ed is:
> [[
> An OWL Lite consistency checker, when presented with a file from an OWL Lite
> consistency test, must output Consistent or Unknown.
>
> An OWL DL consistency checker, when presented with a file from an OWL DL or
> OWL Lite consistency test, must output Consistent or Unknown.
>
> An OWL Full consistency checker, when presented with a file from an OWL
> Full, OWL DL or OWL Lite consistency test, must output Consistent or
> Unknown.
>
> The corresponding inconsistency tests must result in output of Inconsistent
> or Unknown **, as long as the datatypes required
> by the test are supported by the
> datatype theory of the consistency checker**.
>
> A complete OWL Lite consistency checker or a complete OWL DL consistency
> checker should not return Unknown on the relevant consistency or
> inconsistency tests.
> ]]
>
> Is that addition sufficient? Or do I need it also for the consistency tests.

This is correct. Lack of support for a datatype will always result in
more models, so if an ontology is consistent w.r.t. a datatype theory
supporting all the relevant datatypes, then it is consistent w.r.t. a
datatype theory supporting fewer datatypes.

BTW, we didn't specify anything about what a datatype theory ought to
say (e.g., it could map all integers to the same domain element). Do
we want/need to say that datatype theories must be consistent with
XMLSchema, or some such?

Ian