W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-webont-wg@w3.org > March 2003

Minutes of teleconf 20/3/03

From: Ian Horrocks <horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 20:44:15 +0000
Message-ID: <15994.10271.907120.471180@merlin.horrocks.net>
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY:

RESOLVED (unanimously): per
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Mar/0087.html
+review by I18N WG

RESOLVED: accept proposal to close 5.26 except for parts B1 and B2

RESOLVED: to close 5.13 without making a new OWL mime type, observing
that the existing mime types, e.g. app/rdf+xml and app/xml are
sufficient.


ACTION: DanC get review by internationalisation board of decision on
datatypes.

ACTIONS: pfps, jos, smith, guus, danc to update documents to reflect
decision on datatypes.

ACTION: JimH to write and MikeS to insert in guide some words about
security and privacy issues. DanC's action completed.

ACTION: Chairs to contact JeffH to add ref section to req doc

ACTION: DanC - will investigate question of adding to allDifferent
list. No reply by next Tuesday (25/3) means that it is up to editor to
do what he likes.

ACTION: pfps to review (at least) section 8 of Ref doc.

ACTION: pfps, Jos to add broken RDF datatype test to test suite

ACTION: JimH to report to coordination group on model theory issue

ACTION: GuusS to update ref to reflect deprecated class being subclass
of RDFS class and not OWL class

ACTION: chairs to include discussion of presentation syntax in next telecon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Minutes:

<Zakim> On the phone I see Marwan_Sabbouh, herman, baget, deb,
Mike_Dean, evan, NickG, Massimo, yasser, chris, hendler, pfps?, DanC,
masahiro, Ian_Horrocks, ziv, M_Smith

<Zakim> On IRC I see seanb, DeborahMc, nmg, ChrisW, IanH, Massimo,
baget, pfps, hth, Zakim, jhendler, RRSAgent, logger, DanC

PROPOSED to accept the following as a true record of March 13:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Mar/0098.html

Approved unanimously.

Next week's scribe: Nick Gibbins.

Agenda amendments?

DanC: make sure we get to item 4.


Agenda item 2.

Jim: will postpone 2.1 in case Jeremy of Guus join later.


Item 2.2 - proposal from Peter on XML literal:

PFPS: allow uninterpreted data types; XSD:integer & string be only
required data types.

MikeDean: prefers shorter ints to infinite integers.

DanC: infinite easier; need to get internationalisation review

Jos: believes that this wont impact heavily on test doc.

Mike: also OK for guide.

DanC: other editors?

No reply.

JimH: could support XML literal

Peter: yes, modulo broken RDF datatypes

JimH: wants to move to accept.

DanC: modulo internationalisation review.


RESOLVED (unanimously): per
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Mar/0087.html
+review by I18N WG

ACTION: DanC get review by internationalisation board of decision on
datatypes.

Jim: test may need to change.

Jos: possibly use relevant RDF mechanism.

ACTIONS: pfps, jos, smith, guus, danc to update documents to reflect
decision on datatypes.


2.1 ISSUE 5.26 OWL DL Syntax

JimH: mostly approved; some controversy over structure sharing (B.1
bnodes at descriptions form directed acyclic graphs (DAGs))

PFPS: didn't seem to be support at last week's teleconf, so not worth
effort of changing AS&S.

General discussion re B1/2. Support from DanC and Guus (believes
editors proposal should be taken as complete set).

JimH: any strong objections to B1/2?

PFPS: objects on grounds of resource - at least 1 day's work; someone
else would have to do it.

JimH: volunteers?

Deafening silence.

DanC: then we should take it out.

Guus: Jeremy will object.

JimH: Agrees with DanC. Suggests taking out B1/2 and close issue with
proviso that could be re-opened if volunteer appears before last call.


Discussion of F.1 add owl:DataRange as syntactic category for data oneOf

IanH: don't object if we are keeping data oneOf

Guus: adding category would improve clarity

Peter: SA&S can easily be updated (in about 1hr)

Straw Poll: ACCEPT PROPOSAL TO CLOSE 5.26 EXCEPT FOR PARTS B1 AND B2
For: Hendler, pfps, hori, horrocks
Against: DanC
Abstention: Guus, Smith, De Roo, Marwan, Gibbins, Welty, Wallace, Dean.

PROPOSAL: accept proposal to close 5.26 except for parts B1 and B2
Objections: DanC
Abstain: GuusS, Wallace, Baget, M_Smith, Sabbouh, Yasser

JimH: List as resolved; DanC's objection noted; could reopen if appropriate.


2.3 General actions

1) Pending action on Evan and Mike Dean to take MIME type and produce
   MIME type doc

DanC: Advises us to create MIME type and put on W3C rec. track

JimH: Doesn't want to hold up last call

DanC: Would be against WG decision

JimH: Could release MIME type doc after others

DanC: Last call wouldn't start till MIME type doc goes out

DanC: No new info, but doesn't believe we need new mime type.

JimH: Anyone believe mime type is crucial?

MikeD: Maybe.

DanC: Would require candidate status while we gain implementation
experience. Moves to reopen issue on these grounds.

STRAW POLL: reopen issue and move forward with no mime type.
For: Jos, Jim, Dan
Object: Evan, MikeD

MikeD: value in distinguishing owl content from RDF; tools may also
want to so distinguish.

EvanW: objection on basis of process.

JimH: doesn't believe it would be used so tools would need to work
with/without mime type.

MikeD: preference, but would abstain if proposed

EvanW: would also abstain if proposed

JimC: hereby reopen issue 5.13.

DanC: Moves to close with existing mime types being sufficient

PROPOSED: to close 5.13 without making a new OWL mime type, observing
that the existing mime types, e.g. app/rdf+xml and app/xml are
sufficient.
opposed: none
abstain: MikeD, EvanW, MikeS
SO RESOLVED

Jim/DanC: Believed to be no effect on documents.


2) action on DanC re: security

DanC: obvious security issue in using e.g. inverse functional property
to merge information; would like a paragraph on this in ref or guide;
anyone willing to take action?

MikeS: well known; why do we need to address? there are many other
security/privacy issues.

ACTION: JimH to write and MikeS to insert in guide some words about
security and privacy issues. DanC's action completed.


3. DOCUMENT STATUS (30-35 min.)

Requirements:

DebM/DanC: requirements needs ref section

JimH: preference to move to last call and add ref section later (or ASAP)

ACTION: Chairs to contact JeffH to add ref section to req doc


Overview:

DebM: good comments from pfps; will take suggestions on sublanguage
wording and on title.

DanC: suggests editors meeting directly after teleconf.

DebM: could go to last call in present state

DanC: happy to go with whatever we have by next Thursday

JimH: Action on Deb re paragraph in overview is considered done.


Guide:

MikeS: Ready to go modulo title and one minor editorial glitch.


Ref:

GuusS: Some delay in REF due to illness. Latest version incorporates
comments from JimH and pfps (mostly). pfps to check that issues
resolved. Question as to normative status of owl.owl. Will follow pfps
suggestion not to make it normative. Open issue on mime type now
fixed. Question of whether to add annotation property. Need to add
Dan's state code example. Can we add to allDifferent list.

ACTION: DanC - will investigate question of adding to allDifferent
list. No reply by next Tuesday (25/3) means that it is up to editor to
do what he likes.

GuusS: Also needs short section on annotations. Should have revised
version by 21/3.

NOTE: Actions on JeremyC and ChrisW have been withdrawn.

JimH: Will review after Guus's revisions.

Guus: Would like Peter to review section 8.

ACTION: pfps to review (at least) section 8 of Ref doc.


Test:

JimC: ready to go?

Jos: yes.

From Chat: <seanb> msg IanH Ian - I have to go now. If Jim asks about
the test document, I see no major issues and will have a review
hopefully by tomorrow....

Jos: will talk to Jeremy and update to reflect datatype changes.

JimH: action to add imports test case is withdrawn.


AS&S:

pfps: two actions listed. 1st is done. 2nd depends on Jeremy - large
section of document not reviewed by anyone. Propose that as it is only
informative, then it should be removed (and maybe added back during
last call if so decided).

DanC: would like it to be continued, but not on critical path.

pfps: is currently broken and so doc can't go to last call; would be
happy to excise relevant section, fix up as necessary and tell Jeremy
that he is still waiting for this section.

HermanTH: could be added back after last call?

pfps: yes

JimH: OK because only informative and isn't critical to design.

DanC: not observable in test, so editorial.

pfps: 2 other issues. IMHO RDF model theory broken for datatypes. This
affects AS&S in normative manner. Issue is what is an RDFS
datatype. Discussion of this issue... 

pfps: Propose we do the right thing and hope RDF catch up.

DanC: Want illustrative test in test suite.

ACTION: pfps, Jos to add broken RDF datatype test to test suite

ACTION: JimH to report to coordination group on model theory issue

pfps: 2nd issue - wants reviews of current doc.

HermanTH: is doing it; will try to have it done by Tuesday.

JimH: would welcome an additional review from Jeff Pan.

GuusS: issue about deprecated classes - subclass of owl class or RDFS class?

pfps/DanC: the latter

ACTION: GuusS to update ref to reflect deprecated class being subclass
of RDFS class and not OWL class


Presentation syntax:

HoriM: To be released as note; ready for review; only support lite and
DL; some changes req to catch up with abstract syntax, but hopes to
get done in next week.

JimH: only note so not critical path.

ACTION: chairs to include discussion of presentation syntax in next telecon.


JimH: straw poll on movement to last call.
for: many
against: none
abstain: Jeremy (proxy via JH), Guus

JimH: plan is to have all above actions done and vote on last call
next Thursday (27/3).

DanC: timetable discussion. Any comments from OMG?

EvanW: probably not; w/g could review existing docs next week.

DanC: fipa?

JimH: shouldn't hold up last call for them.

DanC: DAML?

JimH: Meeting mid April and will either review or state OK.

DanC: WebServices description?

JimH: Will get review.

Meeting adjourned.
Received on Thursday, 20 March 2003 14:43:37 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:57:58 GMT