RE: Characterising OWL consistency checkers

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 16:51:54 +0100
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org

Jeremy:
>> - If we have a non-empty list of supported datatypes I would like
>> rdf:XMLLiteral in it.
Ian:
>You amaze me.

Always happy to entertain!

For the benefit of those who weren't add the editors' meeting:
- this was probably the most contentious part of the day
- I review some of my arguments

1) Given a canonicalizing RDF/XML parser (and these exist) then implementing
the rdf:XMLLiteral datatype requires a string compare (and nothing more).

2) There is significant benefit in permitting interoperability between OWL and
other W3C technologies based on XML. A class of use cases depends on data
being entered at one point, either as an XML document, or as XHTML; then
going through two or more paths to an OWL system. Along one path the document
is read in and written out again in accordance with XML conventions - which
may change stuff not in the infoset but should leave, for instance,
significant whitespace unchanged. OWL should do its best to permit full
interoperation in such a scenario.

Part (1) seemed to be the more contentious of these assertions; with many
people doubting that canonicalization was easy to implement or could be
completed handed off to the parser.