RE: Characterising OWL consistency checkers

On March 10, Jeremy Carroll writes:

> Some points:
> - I like Ian's words for consistency checker, and will be happy to accept
> them as editorial improvements. If I understand correctly they depend on
> some changes in the S&AS; we currently have consistent defined in S&AS
> rather than test cases, and test cases points to S&AS. This was a WG
> decision (at January f2f), so I would prefer a WG decision to change the
> text to give an in-line definition of "consistent".
>
> - Ian you give DECIDABLE and UNDECIDABLE as if there is some markup, e.g. a
> link to a glossary? Did you have something in mind?

A glossary would be nice, but I'm not volunteering :-) I capitalised
them on the grounds that they were terms with existing/externally
defined meaning. Pointers to such material might be useful, but I
don't think it is important in this context.

> - If we have a non-empty list of supported datatypes I would like
> rdf:XMLLiteral in it.

You amaze me.

> - Ian suggests integer as a possible required datatype. I have no problem
> with this but wish to clarify that this is an infinite set of integers.

My list is just a placeholder, and I agree that we need to be clear.

> - if we support all derived types of supported types as supported then we
> have a problemette with xsd:ID and xsd:IDREF that we do not recommend, but
> are derived from xsd:string.
>
> - if we don't support all derived types of supported types, then I suggest
> we should support all finite derived types of xsd:integer.

I suggest we keep the "must support" list as short as
possible. Implementations can then choose to support additional
datatypes within the proposed framework.

Ian