Re: ISSUE 5.3 Semantic Layering

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 21:41:31 +0300
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org

>Jeremy wrote:
>> As a straw man, how effective would the following change to S&AS be:
>> rewrite 5.3 so that:
>> OWL Full neither affirms or denies that owl:Thing = rdfs:Resource,
>> owl:ObjectProperty = rdf:Property owl:Class = rdfs:Class (where = is
>> equality of class extension).

>Jeremy, how does this fix

This example I take to be:
> AnnotationProperty( <a> )
> Class( <bar> )
OWL Full entails
> AnnotationProperty( <a> )
> Class( <foo> annotation( <a> individual() ) )

because the individual() item is transformed into a bnode (with type
owl:Thing?) and the type triple is trivially true, so that the OWL Full
contentful part is:

<foo> <a> _:b .

If I use the translation rules on individual() in an appropriate way I should
<foo> <a> _:b .
_:b rdf:type owl:Thing .

There may be bugs in the transformation rules that don't do that, although I
believe Peter has made some changes there.
The entailment is now no longer content free unless owl:Thing is the same as
In particular if we don't know that owl:Class rdfs:subClassOf owl:Thing then
the entailment no longer follows.

>> How much baby goes out with the bath water?

>However, you would then need to assert, for example, that rdfs:Class was
>owl:Class before you would get many OWL inferences from it.  In essence,
>you would have to do all the same typing you need to do in OWL DL.

An example would be:

eg:foo rdf:type owl:Class .
eg:foo dc:creator "Jos" .
eg:madeByJos owl:equivalentClass _:r .
_:r rdf:type owl:Restriction .
_:r owl:onProperty dc:creator
_:r owl:hasValue "Jos" .

currently entails, but would not:

eg:foo rdf:type eg:madeByJos .

because restrictions intersections unions complements are scoped by owl:Thing,
not rdfs:Resource, nor the universe.