Proposed response to http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webont-comments/2003May/0047

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:18:13 +0300
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org

This responds to both

I am not clear that I am the right person to send this, since it was a Jena
team comment (which I had forgotten - I thought it was Ian's private

He would like to see more explicit rationale for our design concerning

Hi Ian

After further reflection the WG has modified the rules in S&AS concerning
In the S&AS editors draft:
we read:

axiom ::=
   | 'OntologyProperty(' ontologyPropertyID { annotation } ')'

which permits user defined ontology properties.

In the OWL Reference editors draft, this is recorded with these words:

NOTE: The ontology-import construct owl:imports and the ontology-versioning
constructs owl:priorVersion, owl:backwardCompatibleWith and
owl:inCompatibleWith are defined in the OWL vocabulary as instances of the
OWL built-in class owl:OntologyProperty. Instances of owl:OntologyProperty
must have the class owl:Ontology as their domain and range. It is permitted
to define other instances of owl:OntologyProperty.

> Do the
> updated documents explain why both AnnotationProperty and OntologyProperty
> are needed?

No, this would give them undue weight.
The reason is to ensure that all OWL DL entailments are also OWL Full

> ISTM that plurality of property types is potentially confusing
> to users of the language, especially if the differences between them are
> slim, and come down to nuances of the semantic treatment.

Yes, this is potentially confusing.

In summary we have accepted your comment that:
This class does not seem to be referenced or
defined anywhere else in the specs (including in owl.owl), and it is not
clear what it is representing or what role it is playing.
by adding text to OWL Reference.

Please let us know, cc-ing public-webont-comments@w3.org, whether this
response is satisfactory.

Thanks for your comment