Re: Proposed response to Golbeck regarding imports issue

At 11:53 PM -0400 6/16/03, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

>If there is not an imports statement, then OWL does not license importing.
>Any software that does so is not fully OWL compliant.  The negative
>entailment test Imports-002 is a test of this situation.
>

>peter

Peter - negative entailment test002 reads:

If a premise document uses a namespace but does not import the
document corresponding to the namespace, then the premises do not
necessarily entail anything that is entailed by the conjunction of
the two documents.

"The premises do not necessarily entail" which is not the same as
saying the premises necessarily do not entail.

Further, the definition of a non-entailment test is:

3.3. Non-Entailment Tests These tests use two documents. One is named
premisesNNN.rdf, the other is named nonconclusionsNNN.rdf. The
nonconclusions are not entailed by the premises. Such entailment is
defined by the OWL semantics [OWL Semantics and Abstract Syntax],
(see also OWL Full entailment). Exceptionally, test imports-002
includes a third document.

i.e. not entailed by, which I believe is not the same as "the
negation is entailed by"

I read this one carefully before I was willing to approve it, and
this statement is, indeed, consistent with the decision taken by the
group.
Our normative test document is therefore consistent with what I
described yesterday and I believe this still stands.

  -JH

Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742	  *** 240-277-3388 (Cell)
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler      *** NOTE CHANGED CELL NUMBER ***