RE: Proposed response to Martin Merry, HP

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 21:24:11 -0400
To: "Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, "Smith, Michael K" <michael.smith@eds.com>, "Guus Schreiber" <schreiber@cs.vu.nl>
Cc: <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

At 5:02 PM +0200 6/12/03, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
>I am less than convinced by text that is not more in-your-face.
>(this is not really meant as a response to Mike, more to Jim)
>

>>    Ontology developers adopting OWL should consider which species best
>>    suits their needs.  The choice between OWL Lite and OWL DL
>>    depends on the extent to which users require the more expressive
>>    restriction constructs provided by OWL DL.
>>  [NEW:
>>    Reasoners for OWL
>>    Lite will have desirable computational properties.  Reasoners for
>>    OWL DL, while dealing with a decidable sublanguage, will be subject to
>>    higher worst-case complexity.
>>  ]
>>

>this text still suggests that what we once called complete DL consistency
>checkers will exist. Since we have no evidence for this, and in fact we have
>evidence to the contrary, that should be made explicit: e.g.
>
>[
>    Reasoners for OWL
>    Lite will have desirable computational properties.
>Theoretically,  complete reasoners for
>OWL DL could be built, since it is a decidable sublanguage;
>however the worst-case complexity would probably be unacceptable.
>
>]
>
>OWL DL is primarily a theoretical constuct and a research hypothesis - not a
>proven practical level.
>
>Jeremy

Jeremy - that's simply not true - there are people who have
implemented every feature in combination - I'm not sure what more
than that you can mean by a "research hypothesis" -- I think you're
just misunderstanding the situation or else I simply don't understand
you.  However, for every test case you've proposed we seem to have
people who think they can implement it - so I have no clue what you
mean by a "theoretical construct"
  -JH

Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742	  *** 240-277-3388 (Cell)
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler      *** NOTE CHANGED CELL NUMBER ***