From: Sean Bechhofer [mailto:seanb@cs.man.ac.uk]
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2003 7:44 AM
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org
Subject: Species Validation and the Guide Wine Ontology.

Species Validation
------------------

Raphael Volz and I have continued to work on our Species Validator and
have provided a number of improvements. You can try the validator at:

http://potato.cs.man.ac.uk:8081/OWL/Validator

There are still a number of things that the parser does not handle
particularly well, including data oneOf. It tries its best with imports,
but I would not be surprised if it fails on complicated cases. Some other
side cases are also still to be done (like checking the use of transitive
roles in cardinality constructs), but it's getting there. We will continue
to work on it in the coming weeks.

I'm in the process of finding a more permanent home for the servlet, and
will advise when this is available (if you're on the other side of the
pond, and want to try larger ontologies, doing it later in the day would
be much appreciated as then I'm at home and you can have all the processor
cycles you want :-).

Guide Wine Ontology
--------------------

The validator has highlighted a number of errors that still exist in the
guide wines ontology [1], preventing it from being an OWL DL document. I
have (I think) addressed these problems and provide a cleaned up version
[2] which is now OWL-DL (according to the validator). Header comments
describe the changes made. These basically amount to:

o Providing xml:base attributes to ensure that names get resolved
consistently.

o Providing an explicit import URL in wine.owl (current version uses and
example.org URL). Note that this *is* dependent on the physical location
of food.owl, so will need changed if these versions are to be put on the
W3 site.

o Replacing hasClass with someValuesFrom in food.owl

o Fixing inconsistencies in capitalisation (rose/Rose etc.)

o Fixing cut+paste errors relating to wine descriptor subclasses.

Cheers,

	Sean

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/guide-src/wine.owl

[2] http://potato.cs.man.ac.uk/owl/ontologies/guide/wine.owl