Re: question on embedding

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: 05 Jun 2003 10:34:31 -0500
To: Christopher Welty <welty@us.ibm.com>
Cc: www-webont-wg@w3.org

On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 10:21, Christopher Welty wrote:
> Has anyone thought about how OWL (or RDF for that matter) would be
> embedded in documents on the web?  By "embedding" here I mean mixed
> with raw text the way HTML is.

The original RDF WG made a non-normative suggestion...

The RDF IG and RDF Core WG discussed problems with that suggestion...

Issue faq-html-compliance: The suggested way of including RDF meta data
in HTML is not compliant with HTML 4.01 or XHTML

It bubbled up to the TAG:

RDFinXHTML-35 : Syntax and semantics for embedding RDF in XHTML
(owner: yours truely)

The Semantic Web CG asked Joseph Reagle to start a task
force recently:

We're experimenting with WikiConsensus on the issue...

> For example, are people imagining that web pages might have something
> like:
> <person rdf:id="Chris">Chris Welty</person> is a researcher at
> <organization rdf:id="IBM">IBM</organization>.
> I can't find any examples of this, though I haven't tried that hard.

The wiki topic currently lists these examples:

What sort of RDF metadata do folks want to put in their HTML documents,

      * bibliographic metdata; e.g. DublinCore (see also: [WWW]DC
        extraction service)
      * rights metdata; e.g. CreativeCommons
      * geographic info: [WWW]discussion of geourl, HTML meta, and RDF
      * news; e.g. [WWW]site summaries; also [WWW]How should HTML
        content be represented? in an RSS wiki
      * schemas and namespace documents; e.g. [WWW]HyperRDF, [WWW]RDDL
      * foaf info; e.g. [WWW]how DanC manages his foaf stuff
      * calendars and schedules; e.g. [WWW]DanC's travel schedule,