rdfs:Literal not a RDF datatype

From: Guus Schreiber <schreiber@cs.vu.nl>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 13:27:45 +0200
To: WebOnt WG <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

One of the comments from RDFCore on Reference is the following:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webont-comments/2003May/0004.html

 > #owlref-rdfcore-rdfs:literal-not-a-datatype
 >
 > [[
 > A typed literal needs to have an XML attribute rdf:datatype of which
 > the value is recommended to be one of the following:
 >
 > # The RDF datatype rdfs:Literal  which is the class of literals,
 > typed and plain.
 > ]]
 >
 > rdfs:Literal is not a datatype.

OK, so it should be removed from this list. Still, I assume we do not
want to forbid the use of rdfs:Literal as a possible data range.
Therefore, I wanted to change the following paragraph

[[
OWL allows two types of data range specifications:

     * A RDF datatype specification.
     * An enumerated datatype, using the owl:oneOf construct.
]]

[[
OWL allows two types of data range specifications:

     * A RDF datatype specification.
     * The class rdfs:Literal
     * An enumerated datatype, using the owl:oneOf construct.
]]

However, when consulting S&AS on this, I found in the list of datatypes
in Sec. 2:

[[
OWL also uses rdfs:Literal
]]

The production in Sec. 2.3.2.3 states:

[[
dataRange ::= datatypeID
             | 'oneOf(' { dataLiteral } ')'
]]

where "datatypeID" translates according to the mapping table into the
triple:

[[
  	datatypeID rdf:type rdfs:Datatype
]]

So, something needs to change here, when rdfs:Literal is indeed not an
rdf:Datatype.

Guus

Tel: +31 20 444 7739/7718
E-mail: schreiber@cs.vu.nl