Minutes WEBONT January 16, 2003 Phone conference





Last telecom minutes

Action review from last F2F

Document reviews

Planning for next WebOnt F2F, Boston, 2003




1)      Approve minutes of last telecon – Approved.


2)      Review actions remaining from last F2F – Actions not listed are done status.


a. Test Cases – Jeremy, Ian, and Mike Smith, additional test cases TBD - continued.

b. Add test for syntax checker ID, Jeremy Carroll – continued.

c. Resolution to resolve test case levels in test document – continued.

d. Action Hendler to request F2F presentation material from F2F guests

e. Jeff to get additional use-cases – deferred.

f. Session to teach test harness – continued

g. Guide in final review phase, should be done today.


3)      DOCUMENT REVIEW – Guide


a. Terminology addition proposal from Mike Smith. Class Expression, apparent multiple meanings discussed. Term used in the Reference, and Abstract Syntax documents. Mike Smith to clarify.


b. Unique Names discussion – Mike & Deb to send messages explaining issues.


c. Status of Roadmap to go into guide – Action to Guus.


4)      DOCUMENT REVIEW – Semantics


a. RDF Core Model Theory concerns & related issues & actions required.

b. Anchors and Links – add.

c. Ontology - (Import Closure) additions, problematic implications from editors meeting as source of potential confusion. Proposals from Peter for resolution of Ontology.

d. Object – Refers to OWL Individual, not a data type. Notion of Individual only – change? Changes might bring on the big ugly. Resolution – leave it alone. Make an editorial note or glossary entry to resolve. ACTION to Mike Smith to do a glossary link extending technical definition. Peter to send Mike update.

e. Mapping Rules – Jeremy proposes. More discussion to ensue.

f. Peter, Ian, Jeremy & Herman in critical path for document review.


5)      DOCUMENT REVIEW – Features Overview

a.  No showstopper issues.


6)      DOCUMENT REVIEW – Test Document

a.  No showstopper issues.


7)      DOCUMENT REVIEW – Reference Document

a.  RDF Technical issues, comments

b.  Comments in the OWL.OWL Document?

c.  Action to Dan Connelly to add “comment” issue to the Semantic Web Architecture Meeting, Boston, March, 2003.

d.  Labels discussed – required actions unclear.


8)      General discussions on next possible WebOnt WG F2F in coordination with the Semantic Web Architecture Meeting, Boston, 2003.



Present - Jean-Franηois Baget, John-Paul, Jeremy Carroll, Dan Connolly, Mike Dean, Larry Eschelman, Jos De Roo, Jim Hendler, Ian Horracks, Ziv Hellman, Nick Gibbins, Deb McGuinness, Peter Patel-Schneider, Michael Smith, John Stanton, Herman ter Horst, Evan Wallace, Frank van Harmelen and Raphael Volz.

Regrets - Jonathan Dale, Jeff Heflin and Masahiro Hori.


Chair – Hendler

Scribe – Stanton