RE: Annotations and non-mon example

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:36:05 -0500
To: "Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc: <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

At 15:42 +0100 1/31/03, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
>  > *However*, in the abstract syntax this is not an addition of new
>>   information.  Instead, it is a *change*.  Therefore there is no
>>   non-monotonicity.
>>

>Yes ...., but that is angels on pinheads stuff.
>
>Could I suggest it would be clearer with a new rdfs:Class
>   owl:AnnotationProperty
>and we require all annotation properties to be of this class.
>
>This is not my preferred solution, which I have already posted; but is
>intended as the least change proposal that makes the current text a little
>more tractable.
>
>This has the following positive effects:
>1: Greater uniformity in the everything has a class rule (hence easier to
>understand for the naive user)
>2: Better reflecting the abstract syntax distinctions (between three types
>of property: DatatypeProperty, ObjectProperty and annotations) in the
>concrete syntax
>3: More robust against user error (like forgetting a DatatypeProperty
>declaration).
>
>Jeremy

I could live with this (in fact, as a tool builder it would be useful
- because we could use subclasses of annotationProperty to do some
nice management things - like knowing which policy to assign to which
annotation etc) Would be useful in Full as well as in Lite/DL, but in
Full it would just not be required - so a nice one w/minimal changes
and fairly easy to document.
  Speaking not as program chair, but as AC rep for an organization
that builds Owl tools,  I would be able to support this proposal
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler