RE: ISSUE 5.2 Language Compliance Levels - proposed clarification

On January 24, Jeremy Carroll writes:

> OK - I'll rephrase the proposal.
>
> (I was just trying to do the minimal change on the current resolution
> closing the issue).
>
> How about:
> PROPOSE
>   - to reopen issue 5.2
>   - to retract the endorsement of existing OWL lite language subset.
>   -  to remove modality = complete from the OWL Lite Class Axioms in the
> Abstract Syntax
>   -  to endorse the modified OWL Lite language subset
>   -  to close issue 5.2
>
> This is more in keeping with seeing AS&S as the definitive doc.

Jeremy,

This is madness - surely you can't be suggesting that we re-open the
discussion on OWL Lite *AGAIN*:

1. The specification of the language has been discussed at great
length at more than one f2f meeting and has been agreed by the whole
group *including you*.

2. Apart from the AS&S specification, which has been stable for
*months*, the expressive power of OWL Lite was precisely characterised
in [1], which clearly states that it contains ALC, is contained in
SHIQ(D+) and that satisfiability/subsumption is thus decidable in
ExpTime. You clearly saw that because you corrected one of the
references! (see [2]).

3. Simply tinkering with the syntax of OWL Lite almost certainly
*wont* achieve the result you want/expect (whatever that is).

4. If you really did succeed in eliminating the ability to express
"complete" classes in OWL Lite, you would make it useless in a wide
range of important applications (e.g., see [3]).

To get this far with OWL we have all made compromises w.r.t. what
would have been our preferred outcome. I was under the impression that,
after a great deal of hard work, we had finally managed to reach a
position that we can all live with (just), and that apart from some
relatively minor details we were ready to move forward to last call.

If we agree to re-open a core issue (i.e., the basic specification of
one of the OWL species), then I suppose we can expect everyone to
demand the re-opening of issues were they had formerly agreed to a
compromise. I.e., we would set back the work of the WG by months, if
not sabotage it altogether.

Regards, Ian

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Dec/0239.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Dec/0243.html