Re: issues to be resolved before last call

I have read all the emails in this thread as of Jan 20 (noon EST) - I
return to Peter's original email because I think we need to make sure
we don't lose track of these issues w/respect to WG practice.

Please note: in this case I am writing as CHAIR - the below is how I
as chair would prefer to handle these issues based on the discussion
- they do NOT reflect my personal opinions with respect to resolving
the issues

Also note that these are NOT chair rulings, as I have not discussed
them with Guus and Dan - consider this a set of suggestions:

At 7:44 -0500 1/17/03, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>		Technical Issues to be resolved before last call
>

>Here are some issues that I feel must be resolved before OWL goes to last
>call.  I have battled to get the RDF issues resoved, but to little
>success.  I would like to have formal votes on all the proposed resolutions
>herein.
>

>Issues with XML Schema:
>
>1/ The value spaces of xsd:decimal and xsd:float are not disjoint.  Right
>    now in both XSD datatyped RDF and OWL the denotation "234.5"^^xsd:float
>    is an element of the class extension of the denotation of xsd:decimal.
>
>    PROPOSED RESOLUTION:  The class extensions of xsd:decimal and xsd:float
>    are not disjoint.   The class extension of xsd:float is a subset of the
>    class extension of xsd:double.

I do not believe it is appropriate for OWL to have our own decision
on this without very strong justification.  The W3C Semantic Web
Coordination Group has asked RDF Core to discuss these issues with
the XML Schema folks.  I don't think it makes sense for us to have a
non-interoperable use of xsd types between OWL and other W3C specs.

>Issues with RDF Concepts:
>
>1/ The notion of social meaning has no place in the specification of a
>    formal system.
>
>    PROPOSED RESOLUTION:  Social meaning, as defined in the RDF Concepts
>    document, has no effect whatsoever on the meaning of OWL ontologies.
>
>    NB:  I view this as an extremely serious issue.

this is obviously getting most of the discussion, I will send a
separate message about this - my basic suggestion is that it does not
need an explicit action by our WG at the time.

>Issues with the RDF model theory:

(snips between the following)

>1/ The class extension of rdfs:Literal does not necessarily include
>    strings.  Right now, "a" rdf:type rdfs:Literal . is not RDFS-entailed by
>    the empty graph.  Also, without the following fix, "a" rdfs:type _:x
>    . _:x owl:complementOf rdfs:Literal . is not OWL Full entailed by the
>    empty graph.
>2/ XSD-interpretations in RDF include the problematic XML Schema
>    datatypes.
>3/ There is no definition of literal strings or language tags in the RDF
>    Schema document.
>4/ There is contradictory and unclear information with respect to what is a
>    datatype as well as to the treatment of typed literals.  Datatypes are
>    sometimes elements of the semantic domain, denoted by URI references,
>    and sometimes the URI references themselves.  There is no necessary
>    connection between the intended URI reference for a datatype and the
>    datatype itself.

[snip]

The RDF Core WG has voted to go to Last Call with their documents,
including Semantics.  I believe at this point most of the issues
Peter raises can be resolved between Pat and Peter - the editors of
RDF Core's Semantics and ours.  Where they can work these out as
editing changes to RDF Semantics, it seems to me that is preferred.
If there are issues that still remain, our WG can decide whether to
send a WG comment to RDF Core's LC suggesting changes, or we can
decide to fix our documents.  The "editorial change" solution is
easiest for both WGs, of course we need to make sure things work out.
I would suggest we delegate Peter to discuss this with Pat off line
and come back with a specific solution.

>  5/ The non-normative parts of the RDF model theory, including the closure
    rules and the translation to Lbase, have many errors.
[snip]

this one in particular should be fixed by editing - for us to declare
the RDF Core semantics to be non-normative would be odd in the
extreme, and likely to backfire badly as the RDF Core documents are
likely to be approved while ours are still in Last Call.  Sniping
between the two groups would be silly - we should be working together
to fix things, not to create friction.