Re: issues to be resolved before last call (rdfms-assertion)

I think there are other points and I'm borrowing the
following from Pat as I couldn't express it better...

The point is that publication of RDF, when considered
as a social act, constitutes a publication of some content
which is defined by whatever normal *social* conditions
are used by the publishers of any terms in the RDF to
define the meanings of those terms, even if those meanings
and definitions are not accessible to the formal semantics
of RDF; and, moreover, those meanings are *preserved* under
any formally sanctioned inference processes. In a nutshell,
the formal entailments of social meanings are themselves
part of the social meaning.
The point is also that we cannot use a single notion of
'meaning' to say this properly, since of course the formal
entailments cannot themselves utilize the social aspects
of meaning which are included in *informal* aspects of the
publication, such as in a comment which is opaque to any
likely RDF inference engine or machine processor. Social
meanings can be, as it were, transferred or carried by
formal entailments, but they cannot be incorporated into
the formal entailments.

-- ,

                    Christopher Welty
                    <welty@us.ibm.com>       To:     www-webont-wg@w3.org
                    Sent by:                 cc:
                    www-webont-wg-requ       Subject:     Re: issues to be resolved before last call (rdfms-assertion)
                    est@w3.org

                    2003-01-18 03:43
                    AM

I completely agree with Peter here.

I've read the relevant documents on the RDF side and I am in quite a state
of shock.  This has NOTHING TO DO with OWL, (or with RDF for that matter).
 You simply can not, as a matter of course, define as part of a language
how much responsibility people have for what they say in that language.
That is not the role of technology, nor of standards.  It is the role of
law.  The W3C is not a law-making body, not in the US nor anywhere else in
the world.

Dr. Christopher A. Welty, Knowledge Structures Group
IBM Watson Research Center, 19 Skyline Dr.
Hawthorne, NY  10532     USA
Voice: +1 914.784.7055,  IBM T/L: 863.7055
Fax: +1 914.784.6078, Email: welty@us.ibm.com

"Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Sent by: www-webont-wg-request@w3.org
01/17/2003 10:33 AM