Re: ISSUE: owl:Class name misleading; try owl:Set?

On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 09:58, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
> Subject: Re: ISSUE: owl:Class name misleading; try owl:Set?
> Date: 03 Jan 2003 09:12:14 -0600

> > > This prevents classes from being instances in OWL/Full.
> >
> > It prevents owl:Classes from being owl:Things;
> > It doesn't prevent owl:Classes from being rdf:Resources
> > nor does it prevent rdfs:Classes from being rdf:Resources.
>
> Correct, I was being sloppy.
>
> > This is by design, no? Perhaps that's not the way other
> > folks understood the design, but that's what I had in mind when we
> > closed the layering issue.
>
> OWL/Full does not have this situation.  In fact, it is not possible in
> OWL/Full, as
> 1/ OWL/Full identifies the class extensions of owl:Thing and rdfs:Resource
>    (see Section 5.4 of AS&S);

Yes, I just re-read that.

That's not the design I had in mind when we closed the layering
issue. I don't think the way it's written is traceable to
any WG decision; nor is my position, meanwhile.
So I've asked (in my message of 01 Jan 2003 14:09:40 -0600)
that the editors change it to the design I prefer:
owl:Thing is smaller than rdfs:Resource, even in owl:Full.
Rationale: it seems easier to justify the separate
owl:Thing term this way.

If you're declining my request, I'll ask that it get on the whole
group's agenda unless I see a more satisfactory reason why
the design I prefer isn't the way to go.

p.s. re

>   (see Section 5.4 of AS&S);

please cite docs under discussion by URI (and date,
where the document changes); that citation matches both
http://www-db.research.bell-labs.com/user/pfps/owl/semantics/rdfs.html#5.4
and
http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-owl-semantics-20021108/rdfs.html#5.4
In this case, I suppose either will work, but still...