RE: ISSUE: owl:Class name misleading; try owl:Set?

At 18:44 -0600 1/2/03, Dan Connolly wrote:
>On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 17:12, Jim Hendler wrote:
>>  CHAIR'S NOTE
>[...]
>>  3. We made a decision at that owl:class is a subclass of rdfs:class
>>  but not identical to rdfs:class (per closing of issue 5.22 and the
>>  "semantic consensus"). The RDF Schema document [1] reads:
>>
>>  >RDF distinguishes between a class and the set of its instances.
>>  >Associated with each class is a set, called the class extension of
>>  >the class, which is the set of the instances of the class. Two
>>  >classes may have the same set of instances but be different classes.
>>  >For example, the tax office may define the class of people living at
>>  >the same address as the editor of this document. The Post Office may
>>  >define the class of people whose address has the same zip code as
>>  >the address of the author. It is possible for these classes to have
>>  >exactly the same instances, yet to have different properties. Only
>>  >one of the classes has the property that it was defined by the tax
>>  >office, and only the other has the property that it was defined by
>>  >the Post Office.
>>
>>  so if we decided to go with a purely set based approach, the we would
>>  not be a subset,
>
>No? Please explain.
>
>As far as I can tell, it's quite coherent to say that
>the class of sets is a subclass of the class of classes.
>That's what cyc does
>http://www.cyc.com/cyc-2-1/vocab/math-vocab.html#Set-Mathematical

umm, cyc says the sets of sets which contain themselves (collections)
is a superset of the set of sets, which isn't the same thing

>and KIF seems to do something similar... hmm...
>taking another look, maybe this isn't relevant.
>http://meta2.stanford.edu/kif/Hypertext/node24.html#SECTION00073000000000000000
>
>But still... please explain why it's not OK to say
>that owl:Set rdfs:subClassOf rdfs:Class?

hmm, maybe this is where the misunderstanding lies, and perhaps
someone else can say which of us has it right.  Kif and Cyc are
distinguishing between Set and collections  (a mathematical entity
which is a set allowed to contain itself) where we're talking about
something different - a class as an entity that can have properties
associated with it other than just what the membership is.

As I read the semantics document, the class defined as "all people
who are students and classmembers" is a different class than "all
people who are students" even if we assert that
  :classmember owl:sameClassAs owl:nothing.
which would mean they necessarily have the same membership.  (because
the restrictions and assertions associated with the class are
different)

Am I correct?

(This is fun, I'm being forced to read my way through the Semantics
and work out issues - but perhaps those of you who understand this
stuff better than I can say it better)

  -JH