Re: intersectionOf in OWL Lite

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Subject: intersectionOf in OWL Lite
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 23:31:10 +0100

> The mapping rules from OWL Lite in the abstract syntax to triples incldue the
> single following rule using intersectionOf:
>
> Class(<classID> complete
>       <annotation1> … <annotationn>
>       <description1> … <descriptionn>)
>
> ==>
>
> <classID> rdf:type owl:Class .
> <classID> T(<annotation1>) . …
> <classID> T(<annotationn>) .
> <classID> owl:sameClassAs _:x .
> _:x owl:intersectionOf T(SEQ <description1>…<descriptionn>) .
>

> I suggest a change to the semanticly equivalent rule:
>
> Class(<classID> complete
>       <annotation1> … <annotationn>
>       <description1> … <descriptionn>)
>
> ==>
>
> <classID> rdf:type owl:Class .
> <classID> T(<annotation1>) . …
> <classID> T(<annotationn>) .
> <classID>  owl:intersectionOf T(SEQ <description1>…<descriptionn>) .
>
> This can then be more easily articulated (in for example features, guide,
> reference) as:
>
> [[
> In OWL Lite a class can be declared as the intersectionOf other classes and/or
> restrictions.
> ]]
>

> (Contrasting with the less restricted use in OWL DL).
>
> Jeremy

Good idea, except that the mapping rules are not specific to OWL Lite.

So what I did was change the mapping rules for complete definitions and for
enumerated classes from

<classID> owl:sameClassAs _:x .
_:x foo bar .

<classID> foo bar .

I also had to fiddle with the definition of an OWL/DL ontology in RDF graph
form.