Re: Review of Semantics Documnt

At 13:13 -0500 1/2/03, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

(lots of snips)

>From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
>Subject: Review of Semantics Documnt
>Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 17:36:58 -0500
>

>>  3) The following sentences from section 3 is technically fine, but
>>  some what odd
>>
>>  >The semantics here starts with the notion of a vocabulary, which can
>>  >be thought of as the URI references that are of interest in an OWL
>>  >ontology. It is, however, not necessary that a vocabulary consist
>>  >only of the URI references in an OWL ontology.
>>
>>  maybe reqord to make clearer (I'm okay leaving as is, but it might
>>be improved)
>
>I'm not sure how to make this clearer.

I couldn't think of a rewrite either, so "stet" as they say.

>>  4) near end of section 3 it says:
>>
>>  >An Abstract OWL ontology entails an OWL axiom or fact if each
>>  >interpretation of the ontology is also an interpretation of the
>>  >axiom or fact. An Abstract OWL ontology entails another Abstract OWL
>>  >ontology if each interpretation of the first ontology is also an
>>  >interpretation of the second ontology
>>
>>  are these "if" or should they be "if and only if" (in particular for
>>  the second one)
>
>Hmm.  The convention is to say if here, because it is defining entailment,
>but to mean iff.  I'm rather unwilling to make a change.

Generally this doesn't bother me, but in the case of the second one,
it seemed useful to know if it was if or iff - if it's clear from
context, then I'm happy to leave it.

>>  7) I'm not opposed to Appendix B, but in my mind it isn't of much
>>  use, could be deleted
>
>Hmm. I would be willing to delete it as well, but I seem to remember some
>comments to the effect that examples were needed.

I have a feeling that it may not be needed anymore (i.e. I think the
issues were addressed elsewhere) - maybe keep it in mind for deletion
if there doesn't seem to be a call for it by other WOWGers