Re: ISSUE: owl:Class name misleading; try owl:Set?

At 9:53 -0500 1/2/03, Jeff Heflin wrote:
>"Peter F. Patel-Schneider" wrote:
>>
>>  owl:sameMember[s]As might be a better name for owl:sameClassAs.
>>

>I agree that sameClassAs is a very misleading name. At the very least,
>we need to mention in the Guide and the Reference that it only means
>that the extensions of two classes are equal. In particular we need to
>point out that it does not mean that the property values of two classes
>equal.
>
>However, it would be far better to not have a confusing name. Therefore,
>I would strongly support renaming sameClassAs to either sameMembersAs or
>sameExtensionAs.
>

>Jeff

hmm, I use the sameClassAs to mean classes in different ontologies
are actually the same as part of out ontology mapping work, and I
notice other examples of markup that does the same.  i.e. I often use
things like

ont1:Car owl:sameClassAs ont2:Automobile;

sameMembersAs would not seem to me to make sense here, and
sameExtensionsAs, while probably technically correct, is way too
geeky for me to support (or, more appropriately, requires too much
knowledge of logic to decide when to use).  I would call this one of
those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" situations and leave it as it
is.
  -JH