Re: Review of Guide

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 22:46:51 -0500 (EST)
To: hendler@cs.umd.edu
Cc: www-webont-wg@w3.org

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Subject: Review of Guide
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 18:49:23 -0500

[...]

> [Note: use of term knowledge base (in ref to Peter's earlier remarks)
> - Ref defines KB consistent with use in Guide, so I'm comfortable
> with current usage in Guide]

Reference uses ``knowledge base'' only once.  It appears that this is a
left-over use that should be changed to ``ontology''.

Reference defines an OWL knowledge base as ``a collection of RDF triples''.
Guide defines an (OWL) knowledge base as ``[a] set of OWL assertions loaded
into a reasoning system''.  These look very different to me.

Related points:

In Reference, the pointer for RDF triples should point to RDF Concepts, not
to RDF/XML Syntax.

Guide uses ``assertion'' quite a bit but does not really define what it is.