Re: syntax task force - differences between the two approaches

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Subject: Re: syntax task force - differences between the two approaches
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:02:40 +0100

> A single test case that explains two of the substantive differences is:
>
> <eg:a> owl:UnambiguousProperty <eg:b> .

In the current version of the document, the above triple is not an OWL DL
ontology.

> Under the current S&AS editors draft this entails (in DL)

> owl:UnambiguousProperty rdf:type owl:AnnotationProperty .

> and
>
> <eg:a> rdf:type owl:Ontology.

There may have been a brief time when this was true, but it was a bug.

> This breaks semantic layering (neither entailment holds in OWL Full), and
> contradicts our earlier decision that using the uri owl:UnambiguousProperty
> is an error
> http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-test/#approvedIssue-I3.4-UnambiguousProperty
>

> Jeremy

There is an issue here.

If there is to be owl:AnnotationProperty and/or owl:Ontology, then the
direct semantics should not support entailments that allow triples of the
form

	? rdf:type owl:AnnotationProperty .
or
	? rdf:type owl:Ontology .

to be inferred from the absence of other information even if this is
strictly-speaking not non-monotonic.