Re: syntax task force - differences between the two approaches

At 10:11 -0500 2/26/03, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>Here is my summary of the differences between the two approaches.  I may be
>missing some differences.
>
>peter

A couple of comments on a few of these:

>Substantive Differences in Abstract Syntax
>

>Jeremy - can name data valued oneOfs
>S&AS   - can't name data valued oneOfs

IMHO this could be a valuable construct - for example the reference
manual has an example of the list of "0 15 30 40" which is the
possible numeric tennis scores.  Being able to name that list would
be valuable in a system reasoning about sports statistics (which is
one of the actual use cases in my research group - we're doing
client-side presentation of sports information based on various
ontologies of sport).

>Jeremy - incorporates some RDF container vocabulary
>S&AS   - forbids RDF container vocabulary

certainly Full must include the containers, right?  We believe all
RDF Documents are Full (with the possible exception of those which
abuse the owl: namespace)

>Jeremy - allows rdf:XMLLiteral
>S&AS   - forbids rdf:XMLLiteral

The minutes from Feb 13 read [1]
>RESOLVED: abstract syntax uses same syntax as RDF for literals
>(abstains: Connolly)

so please make sure final document is congruent with this WG decision.

>Jeremy - annotation properties (but not ontology properties) have a
>	 declaration that can have annotations
>S&AS   - no declaration for annotation properties

[1] also says
>RESOLVED: to adopt Peter's Proposal 2 (from
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Feb/0128.html)
>with an explcit type label for annotation properties (e.g.
>owl:AnnotationProperty)
>(abstains: Ian, Jos DeRoo, Mike Dean, Mike Smith)

so please make sure we make the final decision congruent with this
decision as well

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Feb/0193.html