Re: AW: DAML -> OWL Converter generates OWL FULL only / OWL VALIDATOR

At 10:30 +0000 2/21/03, Raphael Volz wrote:
>Hi -
>
>I don't think that this is a feasile solution, since
>full (complete and sound) support of FULL is impossible,
>whereas DL/Lite is at least within foreseeable reach.

I am confused what the "this" is in the attached message?  We have no
charter to only produce sounds and complete - we do have a charter to
be compatible with RDF.  What we have tried hard to do is maximize
both

>Of course, someone will have to work a little harder
>than just replacing 3 characters in a Perl script,
>since a DAML+OIL->DL converter involves
>distinguishing Object- and DatatypeProperties.

who said anything about a DAML+OIL => DL converter?  If someone wants
to write one, I will be happy to discuss it in the implementation
report, and it would be a nice service to offer.  The current
converter only translates what is there -- it will guarantee legal
OWL output, not necessarily Lite or DL.

>This is not particularly difficult, but obviously
>a little work.
>
>The species validator Sean and me worked on during
>the last weeks is available at
>
>http://potato.cs.man.ac.uk:8081/OWL/Validator

great, work, thanks to you both.  I will be sure to discuss this in
the implementation report.  Dan and I also planning to create links
to more of these things, but not until after we move to LC.

>There are still  a
>number of grey areas that need tightening up and some aspects that are
>being ignored (including annotations), so we do not claim
>completeness. It is usefull enough to show that several
>test cases that were supposed to Lite are not Lite and
>that the GUIDE Ontology is broken wrt. import and uses
>several namespaces incorrectly.

I assume you are letting the appropriate folks know what needs to be fixed.