Re: AW: Syntax Changes (domain etc. in owl NS)

At 16:34 +0000 2/20/03, Raphael Volz wrote:
>Hi -
>
>I am well aware that this has been discussed and closed,
>however we can see this as a major source of errors in
>testing ontologies via our parser. People get it wrong
>every second time they (manually) write ontologies, this
>issue may be a non-issue if we assume that most ontologies
>are generated programmatically, however at the time being
>it is a serious problem, see for example the Maryland
>DAML converter, that generates owl:Property...

or did until it was pointed out :->

>I am therefore in favour of reopening that issue.
>
>Raphael

As chair I am resistant to doing so - this was a divisive issue which
we resolved through the WG process quite well.  I think once we have
a validator that points things like this out (and we have several
people working on these), then the issue will be less serious
seeming.  We're already getting a lot of comments asking why we have
owl:class when rdfs:class exists, and I think we would have a lot of
negative comments if we changed our decision on this (in fact, one of
the reasons we ended up making this decision was comments on our
earlier drafts saying "don't reinvent things you don't have to")  -
It is sometimes a pain, but we discussed the situation when we closed
issue 5.20 [1] and at this point there's nothing that has really
changed.
  It might, however, be worth looking through the new Reference
document and see if it adequately points out which are which
  -JH

[1]
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/webont-issues.html#I5.20-should-OWL-provide-synonyms-for-RDF-and-RDFS-objects