From our comments list

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 11:59:28 -0500
To: webont <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

This comment, send to our public comments list talkin about Guide:

At 15:55 +0100 2/12/03, Ivan Herman wrote:

>Reviewing the OWL Guide version 1.0,
>http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-owl-guide-20030210/:
>
>As a reader NOT participating in the working group (ie, not being part
>of all the intricate discussions), the current document is very
>confusing on the issue on how OWL and RDFS relate. The impression one
>gets when reading the document is that OWL picks bits and pieces of the
>RDFS document for its own purposes (rdfs:subClassOf, rdfs:label, etc),
>but deliberately ignores or deprecates, for example, rdfs:Property or
>rdfs:Class by introducing owl:Class, owl:ObjectProperty, and owl:Thing,
>etc. I presume there is a clear model on how these notions relate to one
>another, but I am afraid the current document creates real confusion to
>the community. Adding a separate chapter describing the 'onion model' of
>concentric possibilities offered by RDFS and the various OWL dialect
>would be beneficial.
>
>Ivan

reflects the confusion in our current layering and raises a point we
will have to handle -- I have sent him a reply pointing him at
overview and ref, and mentioning we are working on this -- I believe
we need to create a section for one of our documents, or that could
appear separately on our website pointed to by our documents, that
discusses this issue -- if we don't do it before LC, we can be sure
to get comments like this and have to address it before we move
further through the process
  -JH

http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler