Re: possible changes to abstract syntax and direct semantics to support annotations and fix problem with imports

From: "Jos De_Roo" <jos.deroo@agfa.com>
Subject: Re: possible changes to abstract syntax and direct semantics to support annotations and fix problem with imports
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 20:11:59 +0100

[...]

> does the merge of the following OWL Lite graph
>
>   :x rdf:type owl:Thing.
>   :a rdf:type owl:ObjectProperty.
>   :b rdf:type owl:Thing.
>   :c rdf:type owl:ObjectProperty.
>   :d rdf:type owl:Thing.
>   :x :a :b.                        # annotation triple
>   :x :c :d.                        # annotation triple

Annotation triples are really part of the abstract syntax, not the triple
syntax.  In any case, the above graph is not an OWL Lite graph under my
proposal.

> with the following OWL Lite graph
>
>   :x rdf:type owl:Thing.
>   :y rdf:type owl:ObjectProperty.
>   :z rdf:type owl:Thing.
>   :x :y :z.

Neither is its merge with the above graph.

> OWL Lite/DL entail

>   :x rdf:type owl:Thing.
>   :y rdf:type owl:ObjectProperty.
>   :z rdf:type owl:Thing.
>   :x :y :z.

Well, given that the consequent is a subset of the antecedants, this is
certainly a valid entailment in the RDF-compatible semantics.

[...]

> does the merge of the following OWL Lite graph
>
>   :x rdf:type owl:Thing.
>   :y rdf:type owl:ObjectProperty.
>   :z rdf:type owl:Thing.
>   :x :y :z.                        # annotation triple

This is not an OWL Lite graph under my proposal.

> with the following OWL Lite graph
>
>   :y rdf:type owl:ObjectProperty.
>   :v rdf:type owl:ObjectProperty.
>   :y rdfs:subPropertyOf :v.
>
> OWL Lite entail
>
>   :x rdf:type owl:Thing.
>   :v rdf:type owl:ObjectProperty.
>   :z rdf:type owl:Thing.
>   :x :v :z.

This is a valid entailment in the RDFS-compatible semantics.