Re: OWL question

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Subject: OWL question
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 21:46:48 -0500

> Guys, should the following entailment be valid? (Intuitively, I mean;
> Im looking for guidance here.)
>
> AAA rdf:type owl:Restriction .
> AAA owl:sameClassAs owl:Nothing .
>
> ?entails?
>
> AAA owl:cardinality <xsd:integer: 0>
>
> More generally, are there any valid OWL entailments with a conclusion
> of the form
>
> AAA <restriction-property> BBB .
>
> but the antecedent does not mention a restriction property? I ask
> because the only-if semantic conditions on restrictions seem to
> suggest not, which seems odd.
>
> Pat

Well one might think that this is something that one might want to infer.
However, there are several reasons why it is not a good idea.

1/ It verges on the extensionality principle, which, as we have discussed,
causes problems in OWL/RDF.

2/ OWL/RDF restrictions are compound constructs that are much more like
syntax than anything else.   It is rather strange to infer that some
resource *is* a piece of syntax.

So, in sum, it is the peculiarities of OWL/RDF that make the semantic
conditions on restrictions be only-if.