WOWG: f2f4 - networking

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 11:39:28 +0200
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org

Please read and respond if you want wireless.

I have had a meeting with our networking support.

They can provide wired internet access for all of us in the main meeting area.
HP will provide all cables etc. (No need to bring your own).
There is a firewall, but it is not too severe.

Wireless support would be possible ...
- however the wireless has a strict firewall
   - IRC is blocked
   - IMAP is blocked
   - POP,  HTTP, IPSEC work
     (I have had visitors who have VPN'ed out and then used IRC over the VPN).

Moreover, normally the coverage in our meeting area is poor (read: it doesn't
reach our meeting rooms).
If there are (enough) people who would prefer wireless even without IRC and
IMAP then I will ask for the coverage to be boosted during our meeting.

===

I have indicated that we don't need networking for the breakout rooms.
(is that correct?)

It may be necessary to change room for the telecon sessions. This is still
being investigated. I have indicated that if this is the case then the
minimum networking requirement for those sessions is one networked computer
with IRC projected so that all can see.