Re: ADMIN: remote access for 5th f2f (Manchester)

thx for your work on this.

comments below.

Ian Horrocks wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I just had a chat with Mike Daw who administers the access grid node
> here at Manchester (I CCed him on this mail so he can correct me if I
> I make any mistakes in the following).
>
> The situation is that the most effective remote participation will be
> achieved if everyone is at an access grid node, e.g., the node here
> plus US east coast node(s) and US west coast node(s). It is also
> possible to participate individually using e.g., VRVS [1], but this is
> not encouraged as it can have an adverse effect on the whole
> conference if individual participants have e.g. pour quality audio
> without echo suppression.
>
> We have 3 cameras here at Manchester, which is not too many given the
> likely number of participants. We will, however, have the services of
> an operator who can pan and zoom the cameras as necessary. This may
> not be necessary for remote locations with fewer participants, but it
> is obviously useful to have an expert on hand in case of any problems.
>
> We will run a full test of the system on Wednesday 8th January so that
> we are ready for the meeting on the 9th/10th. It will be helpful if
> the remote participants can ASAP agree the nodes that they will use,
> make bookings and forward the contact details of the node
> administrators to Mike (at the above address) and to me.

Can you provide us with what we need to give to the people in order to
1 - evaluate cost
2 - make the booking
3 - expected timing needed for the booking

I presume most are like me - never having made arrangements before and
needing to contact a few places to find out what it takes to set something
up and to evaluate cost and availability.
the only web page i looked at mentioned differing costs depending upon the
transmission setup so it is clear we at least need information about how to
connect to you.
I presume people on your end have information that they provide to the
other grid node and i presume we need that in order to evaluate the cost
and make a booking.

Also, when will we make a decision concerning the need for f2f5?

> We also need to know in advance if anyone wants to make presentations
> using powerpoint etc. (so that we can distribute the necessary files)
> or do anything beyond standard video conferencing.
>
> Note that shared whiteboards are NOT standard equipment. We should
> have a whiteboard here at Manchester that will be visible to other
> participants, but they will also need to be at nodes with whiteboards
> if we are to see what they are writing.

I have the ebeam white board pens that i could bring to my node.

--
 Deborah L. McGuinness
 Knowledge Systems Laboratory