Re: LANG: owl:ontology

From: Jonathan Borden <jonathan@openhealth.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 07:28:16 -0400
To: <www-webont-wg@w3.org>, "Christopher Welty" <welty@us.ibm.com>

Christopher Welty wrote:

> As this dicsussion moves on, I'm becoming more confused.  Isn't a
> daml:ontology simply a tag that wraps all the statements that are "in" the
> ontology?

The basic problem is that once an RDF/XML document is parsed into a
collection of triples -- and if these triples are merged with other
collections of triples i.e. in a triple store --  it is not _generally_
possible to reconstruct which triples came from which documents. This is a
gaping hole in RDF 1.x (IMHO).

A solution would be to tag/color each triple with its base URI i.e. the URI
of the document from where it came, but this would be a change to RDF.

Jonathan