RE: LANG: owl:ontology

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 10:49:16 +0200
To: "Christopher Welty" <welty@us.ibm.com>, <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

> As this dicsussion moves on, I'm becoming more confused.  Isn't a
> daml:ontology simply a tag that wraps all the statements that are
> "in" the
> ontology?

Conventionally the ontology element is the first child of the rdf element,
and the triples in the ontology are shown in other children of the rdf

  <daml:Ontology rdf:about="">
  <daml:Class rdf:ID="Foo" />

The "" in the rdf:about refers to the current document. (it is referred to
in RFC2396 as a same document reference)

Peter's analysis about documents unfortunately makes a lot of sense, and
points to a weakness of RDF's triple model that there is no treatment of