Re: ISSUE 5.6 - daml:imports as magic syntax

From: Jeff Heflin <heflin@cse.lehigh.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:00:12 -0400
To: Jonathan Borden <jonathan@openhealth.org>
CC: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>, www-webont-wg@w3.org

See my earlier reply to Peter [1] about why I don't like a purely
syntactic approach.

I also had one additional thought since sending that message. A pure
syntactic inclusion could result in multiple ontologies in a single
document with no way to distinguish between what contents are in each
(since the owl:Ontology tags don't actually wrap the class and property
descriptions, but instead only wrap the metadata about the ontology).
Furthermore, the standard use is something like:

<owl:Ontology rdf:about="">

This use of relative URLs would change the meaning of the syntax when it
is placed in a different document.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Sep/0112.html