Re: TEST: Functional and InverseFunctional tests for approval

From: Jos De_Roo <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 09:50:28 +0200
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc: www-webont-wg@w3.org

[...]

> > I'm indeed not convinced about having
> > existentials in inference rule conclusions
> > (except for closed lists denoting sequences)
> >
> > -- ,
> > Jos De Roo, AGFA http://www.agfa.com/w3c/jdroo/
>
> Could you explain why you don't like existentials in inference rule
> conclusions?  (This is a real question, I don't understand why it should
> matter.)

right, quite simply because they require
(in any practical setup I've seen so far)
a rewrite with Skolem functions of the
univars under which scope they fall;
of course there could be solutions found
(one could e.g. use  ( :sf @uv ) :p :o .
with lists as term addresses or some such)
but we're not yet there (and maybe we shouldn't
be there taking the scope of this WG ???)

-- ,