Re: TEST: Functional and InverseFunctional tests for approval

From: "Christopher Welty" <welty@us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: TEST: Functional and InverseFunctional tests for approval
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 11:47:42 -0400

> Jeremy,

[...]

> There are other entailments that should follow from FunctionalProperty,
> even if we consider the feature in isolation.  Should there be a test case
> for each one?  These have to do with the equivalence of FunctionalProperty
> and (MaxCardinality 1), subsumption tests, and also the relationship
> between FunctionalProperty and InverseFunctionalProperty.
>
> -Chris

Hmm.

At least one of these test cases is not dependant on the test cases Jeremy
proposes.  Therefore, I propose the following test case, to be added to the
approved list of OWL tests:

If prop belongs to owl:FunctionalProperty
then an OWL object has at most one value for prop.

RATIONALE:

This tests an inference that is not dependant upon the previous approved
tests for owl:FunctionalProperty.

PREMISE

  xmlns:owl ="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#"
  xmlns:eg ="http://www.example.org/"
    <owl:FunctionalProperty rdf:about="http://www.example.org/foo#prop" />
    <owl:Thing rdf:about="http://www.example.org/foo#object" />
</rdf:RDF>

CONCLUSION

  xmlns:owl ="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#"
  xmlns:eg ="http://www.example.org/"
    <owl:Thing rdf:about="http://www.example.org/foo#object">
      <rdf:type>
        <owl:Restriction>
	  <owl:onProperty>
	    <owl:FunctionalProperty rdf:about="http://www.example.org/foo#prop" />
	  </owl:onProperty>
	  <owl:maxCardinality>1</owl:maxCardinality>
        </owl:Restriction>
      </rdf:type>
    </owl:Thing>
</rdf:RDF>