RE: LANG: need to CLOSE Issue 5.6 Imports as magic syntax

2 more cents.

> 3) The imports triples are considered extra-logical, and any statements
> that contain owl:imports as a subject or object are undefined.
> Furthermore, any imports statements that have a resource other than the
> containing document as a subject are undefined.

OK.

> 2) The semantics essentially be "A imports B means if B entails P then A
> entails P." ...

Imports is extra-logical by 3.  It has no formal semantics.

I know what you are trying to get at, I just don't think we have
figured out how to say it.  And I don't know how to say it except
operationally.  We all agree (?) that if importing B works (because
all of my internet connections are working, the document B exists,
the server it resides on is up, my firewall and anti-virus
software are happy, ..., and A gets augmented with B) then the
resulting KB will entail P.

I would be inclined to a statement like:

 The owl:imports statement is extra-logical.  It has an operational
 interpretation.  The containing ontology is extended by the content
 of the imported ontologies.  This extension is performed recursively
 until there are no more imports to apply.  This attempt to extend
 the ontology may not always be completely successful.  The effect of
 such failure is implementation defined.

 If the interpretation of 'A owl:import B' is successful, then the
 entailments derivable from the resulting KB are those derivable from
 the union of the contents of A and B.

- Mike