Re: LANG: need to CLOSE Issue 5.6 Imports as magic syntax

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:43:17 -0500
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org

>ii. When a document does not contain an explicit imports statement,
>but does reference a second document, then we had consensus that it
>need not be determined (by us) whether all, some, or none of the
>triples from the second document should be treated as if they were in
>this document - the policy is left to the implementor (we might
>suggest a possible policy in one of our documents).  Thus, if one
>document states that Socrates is a man, and it refers to a document
>which states that Men are mortal, then the consensus is that it is a
>matter of policy left to implementors to  decide whether to believe
>that Socrates is mortal

I believe that the RDF concepts document  now contains wording that
impacts on this.

I find the view espoused in that document to be repugnant, and, worse,
to adversely affect the use of the Semantic Web by organizations.
 WebOnt might want to officially comment on the document.

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Bell Labs Research