Re: Possible semantic bugs concerning domain and range

On October 24, pat hayes writes:

> >There may be pragmatic/implementation reasons to go for implies
> >semantics in all cases:
> >
> >- it can only lighten the burden on implementors as there will be
> >fewer kinds of logical entailment to worry about.
> >
> >- the cost isn't very great as implied functionality, transitivity
> >etc. due to strange constraints on possible models doesn't seem like
> >it would be of great interest.
> >
> >- it would satisfy Pat's complaint that logically entailed range and
> >domain restrictions are positively harmful.
>
> But it would fail to satisfy the RDFS requirement that subClassOf and
> subPropertyOf are transitive. We could of course just add this as an
> ad-hoc semantic requirement, but that seems very tacky.

I'm not sure what your point is here. Are you concerned as to whether
subClassOf and subPropertyOf are implicitly instances of
owl:TransitiveProperty? I do not believe that this would not be a
valid Fast OWL inference (or at least not a question one could ask).

> Given the option between all IF and all IFF, I think the all-IFF
> option is more coherent. But I would prefer a more tailored solution,
> as you know.

I prefer all IF for the reasons I have mentioned, in particular the
possible extra burden on implementors. E.g., it isn't clear that these
entailments can be reduced to satisfiability and still stay within OWL
Lite (it might be possible, but not via the reductions we have
mentioned up to now as these rely on nominals), so these entailments
might make it harder to implement a complete OWL Lite reasoner.

Ian