Re: importing and entialment

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 06:26:51 +0200
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org

> [ Msg about HTTP 404 and logic ]

I think you don't mean 404; 500 might be better.

404 is document not found, which is used mainly when the URL is bad.
A 500 server error gets returned when something has gone wrong typically in
the way the server is working.

In your example:
Document A:
Man subclassOf Mortal

Document B:
B imports A
Socrates type Man

typically when we get a 404 it would be because of a typo: we wrote A' instead
of A. In which case there is no logic entailment.

I think a detailed study of which http error codes map to which sort of
logically state should be outside the scope of what we do - but I agree with
your general point that temporary network conditions should not impact the
logical validty of an entailment. 404 is not temporary though.