SEM: List's

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 08:41:29 +0100
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org

Hi Pat,

the aspect of the semantics documents that I was least happy with was the
treatment of rdf:List.

You seem to assume that the RDF Model Theory will do significantly more
List semantics than I believe RDF Core either has agreed to, or will agree to.

My understanding was that RDF Core agreed to provide the List syntax, and
the List vocabulary (rdf:List, rdf:first, rdf:next rdf:nil); but not to
provide any (formal) semantics for these terms.

The rationale included:

- RDF does not include equality,
- RDF does not include contradiction,
- RDF closures of finite graphs are finite

All three of these appear to be violated by what you are implicitly
proposing to include in the next RDF MT WD.

---

Clearly this is no big deal really - the same work can be done in WebOnt.
My understanding is that list semantics do belong in WebOnt for the reasons
identified above.