Re: Formally specifying HTTP GET operations

At 8:31 AM -0600 11/27/02, Dan Connolly wrote:
>On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 08:04, Jim Hendler wrote:
>>
>>  At 8:12 AM -0500 11/27/02, Jonathan Borden wrote:
>>  >There are several points in which we desire to formally specify an HTTP GET
>>  >operation. When we wish to assert the 'contents' of a URI, we
>>wish to assert
>>  >the contents of an RDF document obtained when dereferencing the URI. This
>>  >exposes the need to formally define the HTTP GET operation itself.
>>  >
>>  >[snip]
>>

>>  >Formally defining an HTTP GET operation might be out of the scope of OWL,
>>  >but hopefully this description will demonstrate some of the issues in
>>  >defining OWL entailments that cross HTTP GET operations.
>>  >
>>  >Jonathan
>>
>>  I am afraid that I agree with Jonathan that this is likely out of
>>  scope for the WG.
>
>Are you saying that this part of peter's proposal for 5.8
>is out of scope?
>
>[[[
>4/ OWL can use XML Schema non-list simple types defined at the top
>    level of an XML Schema document and given a name, by using the URI
>    reference constructed from the URI of the document and the local name
>of
>    the simple type.
>]]]
>
>I think there is a case for saying that is out of scope, but
>I'm not sure what you're saying.
>
>This point 4/ can't be specified, to my satisfaction, without
>*some* formalization of HTTP GET.
>
>I suggested[7Nov] formalizing it as part of the interpretation
>structure. PatH agreed[19Nov] that could work.
>
>[7Nov]
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Nov/0102.html
>
>[19Nov]
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Nov/0233.html
>
>[...]

It was my understanding that Jonathan was suggesting going beyond
what had already been done and taking it in directions that might not
be appropriate for this WG - I'm happy to let things go on as they
are, but was issuing a warning that we are close to scope boundaries.
In short, I'd like us to do the minimum needed to satisfy the closing
of the datatypes issue, but if that requires significant work outside
of our charter, the chairs will need to consider scope issues
  -JH