Re: LANG: Proposal to close ontology versioning (ISSUE 5.14)

Mike,

I'm not sure what you mean by extends vs. replaces. I see imports as a
way of "extending an ontology." A new version on the other hand is a
kind of "replacement." However, since we are in a distributed
environment we don't want to technically replace an ontology, beause
that may break dependencies on the prior version. So the best we can do
is say such-and-such is the latest version, and whether or not it is
backward-compatibile. Perhaps what you mean is that we can't say that a
new version is incompatible with a prior version. I consider this to be
the default: If backward-compatibility is not explicitly stated, then
incompatibility should be assumed.

If I have completely missed your point, could you explain what you mean
by extends and replaces?

Jeff