Re: LANG: Proposal to close ontology versioning (ISSUE 5.14)

From: Smith, Michael K <michael.smith@eds.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 11:58:30 -0600
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org

Jeff,

I am pretty neutral on this, but it doesn't seem like the first two get to
the important
relations, which are whether one ontology is a COMPATIBLE extension or
and INCOMPATIBLE extension.  I.e EXTENDS vs. REPLACES.

	I propose to add the following identifiers to the OWL namespace:
	priorVersion
	backCompatWith
	deprecatedClass
	deprecatedProperty

We can't say REPLACES.  The combination of priorVersion + backCompatibleWith

implies EXTENDS.

An interesting feature is that an ontology can say that it is a priorVersion
of some
other one.  Right?

- Mike

Michael K. Smith, Ph.D., P.E.