Re: RDF datatyping summary

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 08:34:03 -0500 (EST)
To: jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Cc: www-webont-wg@w3.org

[It is hard to reply in-line to an HTML document. :-(]

[...]

> <h2><a name=3D"value">What is the value?</a></h2>
> See
> and/or
> The value associated with a typed literal is found by applying the datatype
> mapping associated with the datatype URI to the lexical form.

Except for rdf:XMLLiteral.

> but not syntactically). (The literal is not
> well-formed).
> The model theoretic treatment of errors is complicated (see below).

Calling this an error is misleading, in my opinion.  An invalid literal
just denotes some junk value.

[...]

> <h2><a name=3D"webont">Webont specific issues</a></h2>
> At least in the RDF world, the decision that literals are
> resources makes the separation of datatyped and object properties harder.

Somewhat harder, but not too much harder.

> I believe this is a non-issue given the way OWL DL is defined.
> I have produced an
> awkward test case</a> based on there being only two boolean values
> (Patrick Stickler summed up "Yes, I agree that the entailment holds.
> No, I don't think it is very useful as a test case.").

On the contrary, this is precisely the sort of thing that makes a useful
test case.  It is an entailment that can easily be missed by implementors.

> The difficulty of defining new datatypes with URIs is a problem e.g.
> examples in the guide are nonstandard, and do not appear to be fixable.

Well, I don't see why this is non-fixable.  WebOnt could just state
something like

	A datatype URI that is a fragment in an XML Schema document refers
	to the top-level simple datatype with that fragment as its local
	name, if any.

[...]