Re: SEM: Light review of semantics document

I have had a lot of discussions with people about what ontologies are in
common usage.  I think the only thing that we all agree on is that there is a
spectrum of descriptions for ontologies.  I dont know that we want to get into
a big description of it since i dont think the discussion is short.  if people
want to refer to something on the topic, i wrote about it in an "ontologies
come of age" paper [1].  that paper includes a spectrum that a number of us
came up with and i refined after a panel at aaai on ontologies.

Thus, i would be careful below with wording such as ontologies
referring "to what we "traditionally" ... call ontology in Computer Science,
and "knowledge base" to refer to a mixture of ontology and instance data."

including class descriptions in our ontologies means including some instances
because of hasValue and oneOf.
Since someone will ask the question - I wanted to head it off here.  We should
NOT say  that owl documents with instances in them are not to be referred to
as ontologies.
I agree with jim's point though that a document with only instances and their
associated class tags  in it is not what i think of as an ontology and also is
not something that i would like to promote as a way of using the term.

i am not opposed to instance data set for this.

i do not usually make a big deal of a distinction between knowledge bases and
ontologies since the overlap is too great and many people consider knowledge
bases ontologies.  I had not thought about this point directly in the guide
writing but it probably would not create as much confusion if we downplay that
distinction in the guide.

deborah

[1]
http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/dlm/papers/ontologies-come-of-age-abstract.html

Christopher Welty wrote:

> Jim,
>
> If by, "I believe strongly that this is not a critical issue of language
> design, it's simply a suggestion we develop consistent terms so we
> get our message out," you mean that you just want a term that we will
> agree to employ in our human interchange, and not something in the OWL
> language, then that's fine, make something up and we'll add it to the
> Guide.
>
> It appeared from the discussion that Jeff and you wanted something more
> formal, that required an adjustment to the meaning of the owl:ontology
> tag.
>
> In the Guide, Mike and I chose to employ "ontology" (not the tag, but the
> natural language term) to refer to what we "traditionally" (it's a short
> tradition) call ontology in Computer Science, and "knowledge base"
> to refer to a mixture of ontology and instance data.  We did not draw
> the distinction you want there, but if I understand you
> correctly, the Guide is right place to talk about this.
>
> -Chris
>
> Dr. Christopher A. Welty, Knowledge Structures Group
> IBM Watson Research Center, 19 Skyline Dr.
> Hawthorne, NY  10532     USA
> Voice: +1 914.784.7055,  IBM T/L: 863.7055
> Fax: +1 914.784.6078, Email: welty@us.ibm.com
>
> Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
> Sent by: www-webont-wg-request@w3.org
> 11/09/2002 06:59 PM
>
>         To:     Christopher Welty/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, www-webont-wg@w3.org
>         cc:
>         Subject:        Re: SEM: Light review of semantics document
>

> At 3:00 PM -0500 11/8/02, Christopher Welty wrote:
> >I have to agree with Pat here, guys.  The meaning of an "owl:ontology"
> tag
> >inside an RDF document is simply that the document contains OWL syntax,
> >not some hard to pin down notion of a separation between definitions and
> >data.
> >
> >What you, Jeff and Jim, want to accomplish can be done with comments,
> >since the distinction you want does not exist in the language nor in its
> >interpretation - it only exists in the minds of some people.  I think
> what
> >you want is sort of like the distinction C compilers make for ".h" files
> -
> >in point of fact there is no difference between  the contents of a ".h"
> >and ".c" file, just a methodology enforced by some compilers.
> >
> >That using "ontology" to describe a set of instances does not match your
> >definition is not, I think, the point.  Maybe the tag is inappropriately
> >named.  But don't get me started on mis-named tags.  "Property" is
> already
> >a LOT worse.
> >
> >-Chris
>
> Chris/Pat - I think you guys misunderstood me - I believe that all of
> these things are OWL documents, but I'm concerned with a small matter
> of usage.  The way I see it, there are documents which are clearly
> [...]

 Deborah L. McGuinness
 Knowledge Systems Laboratory
 Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305-9020
 email: dlm@ksl.stanford.edu
 (voice) 650 723 9770    (stanford fax) 650 725 5850   (computer fax)  801 705
0941