Re: SEM: Light review of semantics document

>Sorry Pat, but I gotta agree with Jeff on this one- you signed onto
>this group which had "ontology" in the title, fully knowing by
>charter we would create something called an ontology language.

Well, sure, but apparently what you and Jeff meant by 'ontology'
wasn't what I meant. Thats the trouble with English, right? Which is
one reason why we are doing all this in the first place...

><owl:ontology>
>   statements
></owl:ontology>
>
>was in DAML+OIL, has been in OWL from day 1, a prereq for WG members
>was familiarity w/D+O, so you should have been aware that was there.

I have no problem with that, but I have always understood this to
simply be an XML marker for the presence of OWL syntax in the RDF
graph. Why do we need to say anything more than that? "owl:ontology"
isn't in the graph, right? So its not in the namespace, and it has no
semantics. If "owl:ontology" is in the OWL namespace, then we ought
to say what an RDF triple which includes that name means.

>The issue we need to address is that IN ENGLISH USAGE (not formal logic)

I do wish you would make at least an effort to disguise your built-in
anti-logical knee-jerk, Jim. It just gets in the damn way. What we
are all doing here, whether you like it or not, is using ENGLISH to
talk ABOUT a FORMAL logical language. When using ENGLISH it is often
a good idea to use words which refer to concepts that actually make
some sense in the context being talked about.

>there is a need for us to say whether there is a difference between
>documents that look like
>
><rdf:RDF>
>
><owl:ontology ... />
>
><owl:class rdf:about="Moose">
>   <owl:restriction>
>     etc
>   </owl:restriction>
></owl:class>
>
></rdf:RDF>
>
>and documents that look like
>
><rdf:RDF>
>
><a:Moose rdf:id="MyMoose />
>
></rdf:RDF>
>
>(and those which mix some of both).

The difference is that one of them contains OWL syntax and the other
does not. End of story.

What about the many other cases, such as  <rdf:RDF>....</rdf:RDF>
which contains non-ground RDFS, say? What about one of those that
contains RDFS which would break fast-OWL? What do we call those?  If
some RDF uses rdf:bag, is it instance data? What about an rdf:List,
described using bnodes? You (and Jeff) are confusing two different
distinctions: ground versus non-ground, and RDF vs OWL. That is a
dangerous confusion to incorporate into an official terminology.

>Jeff's usage is consistent with the outside world's usage, and I
>suggest if we don't use it we will confuse everyone in the world
>except for logicians

I'm tempted to respond that anyone who you would classify as a
non-logician is already confused in any case. But I won't.

>-- given that, I'd suggest we use it -- i.e.
>
>Ontology documents are those that define classes and properties.
>Instance documents are defined by using RDF to produce instances (or
>individuals) that are members of those classes with those properties.

Sorry, I object to this, because it doesn't make sense. You are
presuming something that is false: that RDF can only be used to
describe ground facts. We ought to use a naming convention that warns
the world not to get this confused, rather than casting the confusion
in stone.

I know that RDF is often used for instance data, but it can be used
for other things. I frequently meet people in the DAML community who
are surprised to hear that RDF allows bnodes; there is deployed
software with serious bugs arising from the misunderstanding that RDF
is used only for ground facts.  Also, this convention makes nonsense
of the fundamental presumption that one can merge RDF graphs. If
OWL/RDF really is RDF then this terminological usage becomes
nonsensical even when applied to actual documents. It already doesn't
make any semantic or operational sense.

Pat