Re: PROPOSAL to close issue 4.6 [was Re: SEM: peeking at approach to 4.6 EquivalentTo]

>I concur with Jeff. We make heavy use of "same" statements in our
>applications, and forcing the use of sameIndividualAs, although
>technically correct, is bound to confuse many users.

I also agree. I can't help noting that people have been using '='
very successfully for some time, and that its a lot easier to type
than any of the alternatives.

Pat

>Guus
>

>Jeff Heflin wrote:
>>I could live with this, but would be much happier if we also had a
>>generic sameAs property that could be used in place of the three longer
>>named properties. I know this has come up before. Note, if someone used
>>sameAs between a property and a class in OWL/DL, this would be no
>>different than if they declared the same ID to be of both type Class and
>>Property.
>>Jeff
>>

>>"Peter F. Patel-Schneider" wrote:
>>
>>>Given that Dan appears to like the solution in the new semantics document,
>>>I PROPOSE that the working group CLOSE Issue 4.6 EquivalentTo, with the
>>>following wording:
>>>
>>>daml:equivalentTo has had problems in its interpretation, particularly with
>>>respect to its relationship to daml:sameClassAs, daml:samePropertyAs, and
>>>daml:sameIndividual.  A general equivalentTo also has problems in OWL/DL,
>>>as it violates the separation between classes, properties, and individuals.
>>>Therefore, OWL will not have an equivalentTo.
>>>
>>>Note: In OWL/DL, the effect of equivalentTo can be obtained by
>>>owl:sameClassAs for classes, owl:samePropertyAs for properties, and
>>>owl:sameIndividualAs for individuals.  In OWL/Full, owl:sameIndividualAs
>>>has same effect that daml:equivalentTo was intended to have.
>>>
>>>The new semantics document is compatible with this proposal.
>>>
>>>Peter F. Patel-Schneider
>>>Bell Labs Research
>>>
>>>From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
>>>Subject: SEM: peeking at approach to 4.6 EquivalentTo
>>>Date: 25 Oct 2002 17:01:40 -0500

>--
>A. Th. Schreiber, SWI, University of Amsterdam
>http://www.swi.psy.uva.nl/usr/Schreiber/home.html

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam