Re: proposal: Structured Datatypes

On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 21:29, Jonathan Borden wrote:

> I would like to propose a partial yet relatively simple and interim solution
> to the issue of Structured Datatypes. A full solution would involve
> 'grafting' the OWL class hierarchy onto the XML Schema type system i.e. an
> XML Schema type is considered a first class OWL class, and an OWL reasoner
> understands XML Schema type derivation composition etc.
>
> For the interim I propose when rdfs:range restrictions on
> owl:DatatypeProperty classes are URIs that identify XML datatypes (leaving
> alone for the moment the question about how one associates a URI with an XML
> datatype)

???

How can we leave that aside?

That's critical to making it work, no?

i.e. that why I proposed we postpone the issue.
  # why 4.3 Structured Datatypes should wait
  Dan Connolly (Wed, Oct 23 2002)
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Oct/0157.html

> that the lexical value of the owl:DatatypeProperty be an RDF
> datatype conforming to the syntax of rdf:XMLLiteral and that this fragment
> of XML be valid with respect to the particular XML datatype (e.g. XML Schema
> particle)
>
> For example suppose the XML Schema particle
>
> < xsd:complexType name =" xType " id="xType">
>  < xsd:sequence >
>    < xsd:element name ="a" type =" xsd:int " minOccurs =" 0 " />
>    < xsd:element name ="b" type =" xsd:string " minOccurs =" 0 " />
>  </ xsd:sequence >
> </ xsd:complexType >
>
> then (modulo base URIs)

exactly what URI to use is the 1st question our users will ask.
How can we put this in our spec without answering that question?

I don't think we should set the expecation that this will work
in OWL 1.0 deployment timeframe.